Rain, rain, rain! Green paddocks and happy sheep


So, I know it's been MONTHS since I last wrote a blog entry. In my defence, I have done a lot of instagram, both on my writer account and my new gardening account.
https://www.instagram.com/dawnmeredithwriter/
https://www.instagram.com/dawniesgarden/
video of our green paddocks
We've had a lot of rain in June and particularly July, when more rain fell here in one month than a whole year in Hobart. Click on the link above to see a video I took June 17.

We've also had plummeting night temps of  -2 celsius lately, so the Aga-driven radiator system has worked pretty hard and we've hauled loads of firewood to feed its hungry mouth!

Here are the various bits and pieces that have happened here at Crumbleton Manor Farm:




  • Snow on the nearest mountain, Black Bluff
  • fire in the valley as the Rural Fire Service completed hazard reduction burns
  • Stunning fiery autumn colours on our newly planted Acer trees
  • I found three proper cast iron chairs at the tip shop - awesome!
  • My new big flower bed was enormously successful
  • The ewes have all been mated LATER this year, to avoid the winter disaster that was last year. Hopefully they are all pregnant and everything goes well in spring.
  • Harry started walking again as his hip heals sloooooowly
  • Harry's outside walk
  • The first crop of crab apples, which I had no idea what to do with!
  • The first pumpkins and yams harvested and cooked
  • We all tried proper archery for the first time and all of us did extremely well
  • I discovered a sumptuous, old-fashioned coffee shop in town  (yum!)
  • We bought new chickens, after a beautiful but ferocious spotted quoll killed 4 hens and our handsome rooster, Prince. :-(
  • Our dear friends moved down from the Blue Mountains too and now live on the beachfront. Lucky them!
  • heavy frosts gave a sparkly look to the garden
  • I finished my newest manuscript - a mid grade novel set in Norway
  • a potaroo took up residence in the carport and hung around so I could take its photo. potaroo
  • I finally planted my climbing roses which will climb my garden arch in the big flower bed I started in November.
  • Quick trip to Perth for a wedding
  • Community Social night with indoor woodchopping and whip cracking!!! indoor woodchop   indoor whip cracking
  • Our north paddock has come back splendidly with winter growth that's amazing local farmers. our north paddock
  • I finally started clay work (mini slab pot) in my new studio. yay!
  • The first jonquils appeared and smell glorious.
So, there you have it in a nutshell.  As usual we wish we could do more, but must live within  our physical limitations. However I discovered a local builder, Dave, who has been fantastic. And we've advertised for strong young lads to clear rocks from paddocks.

Until next time....

Comments